Re: [orca-list] How to compile and install Orca master

This is curtesy of Volodymyr Dorozhinsky and laid out some pretty detailed instructions to update Orca on Ubuntu.  I kept these instructions around so that I have them to refer back to when I need it.  The only thing I’m not sure, as I haven’t done this yet is if you have to use the apt build-dep command or if you can just use apt install.  But either way, this should install the dependencies you need.  See below:

for Ubuntu 18.04 You can do the following:

1. Enable the Canonical repositories.
* Open software updater.
* Click the Ubuntu tab.
* Check the box source repositories.
* Click the other software tab.
* Check the boxes next to Canonical partners and Canonical partners source repositories.
* Click close.
* When requested, click reload cache.

2. Open a terminal window, press Alt+Control+T.

3. Install git, type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.
sudo apt-get install git

4. Install build dependencies. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.
sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca

* Answer yes to the ‘do you want to continue?’ prompt.

5. Get the orca source code. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.
git clone https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca.git

6. Build and install orca.
!!WARNING!!
Follow the steps below exactly as typed. Doing something else will mess up your environment and cause file permission problems.
* Change to your orca repository created in step 5. Type the following and press Enter:
cd orca

* Configure orca source. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.:
PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3.6 ./autogen.sh

* build orca. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.:
make

* Install the built binaries. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.: :
sudo make install

7. When install is complete, restart the system.

After you can keep up with Orca master by executing the following commands in a terminal:
* first change to the orca folder
cd orca
* look for uptdates
git pull