Re: [orca-list] Why slackware?

Hi Pranav,

Slackware has a much simpler design, which helps to configure and customize it.

For instance it was easy for me to modify the installer to internationalize it
and make it accessible with braille and speech, though I be not a developer,
just a systems integrator.

It is also easy to customize and update packages, which include all features
(including documentation and development files) so there are less to manage.

Slackware does few user configuration, which lets me do the ones needed for
Slint, and is better integrated than other distributions, as all components
are build by one person (Patrick J. Volkerding) who takes a great care that
they all fit together.

As an example this make easier to provide in Slint default sound settings
allowing to switch between a console and a graphical environment keeping
speech in both.

If had wanted to change (which I don't), I could consider Debian or Arch
or a BSD, not Ubuntu as I wouldn't make a derivative of a derivative.

Best regards,

Didier