Re: [orca-list] orca and gdm no longer playing nicely together

Hello,

Looking at this it appears as if the DISPLAY variable has not been set despite you are saying you have exported it.

I am not sure adding a sanity check would be better here or it's non-sense.

BTW gnome 3.36 has a broken GDM in terms of a11y.

With that version I can only hear Welcome to orca and then silence thus I have to login blindly all the time.

This is reportedly fixed but not yet shipped to users I am afraid as GDM 3.38 is not better in terms of a11y here.

I can't find the corresponding gitlab issue right now but I remember looking at it.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 15. 12. 2020 o 10:22 John Covici napísal(a):
Hi.  After my last update orca master and gdm are not working
together.  When I start gdm 3.36.4 orca does not start.  If I run it
by hand in another terminal as root with DISPLAY=:0, I get the
following traceback:

[1] 4188516
root@ccs:~ # Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/orca", line 44, in <module>
       from orca import orca
           File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 73,
           in <module>
               from . import mouse_review
                    File
                    "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/orca/mouse_review.py",
                    line 620, in <module>
                        reviewer = MouseReviewer()
                             File
                                "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/orca/mouse_review.py",
                                line 339, in __init__
                                    seat = Gdk.Display.get_default_seat(display)
                                    TypeError: Argument 0 does not allow None as a
                                    value

[1]  + exit 1     orca

If I log in "blind" then orca works normally.

I am using the infamous gtk+3.24.24, if that makes any difference and
gdm 3.36.4.  The orca master is as of
commit ee411f2f0ef9e9908ad7a48f4f4083e662b5b67e (HEAD -> master,
origin/master, origin/HEAD)

I also get from the kernel

Dec 15 04:15:44 ccs.covici.com kernel: proc: Bad value for 'hidepid'

Any assistance on this one would be appreciated.