Re: [orca-list] Linux does not see the internal SSD on my laptop/what to do...

Hi,

So what command do you give fdisk or gidsk? Why do you believe it's a
correct command? Have you checked devices present in /dev? With lspci?

Example: If it's an nvme drive, it would likely be listed something
like:

/dev/nvme0n1

Though an ssd would indeed come up as:

/dev/sda

While you're booted with a thumb drive linux, what does lsblk show?

Lastly, have you paged through the output of dmesg?

hth

Janina

Orca screen reader developers writes:
Sorry for going OT here, but many of you know who I am and know I would much
prefer to be using one or more Linux distros for 98-99% of my work and play
as I have most of the last 10 years rather than being stuck in windows or
the limited Linux one can run from win10 run box.

I bought a new computer for the 2nd time in my life  around the 1st of
December of 2018. After getting sighted help to work with bios settings to
enable booting from USB pendrives, set function keys to work as such and
following instructions re secure boot to install Linux I shut her down and
plugged in a thumb drive with either Vinux 5.1 or Ubuntu 16.04 on it.

Sadly although I could indeed boot in to different Linux distros, arch, at
least three flavors of Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04, gnome or mate version of
these as well as the standard Unity desktop release; and something else that
slips my mind now, I could never see the internal harddrive; not with
gparted, gdisk, fdisk the installers for the Ubuntu versions, etc. I asked
on HP support forum butg only got suggestions to update my bios and drivers
which I did.

Please, what can I do so that a live Linux system can see the laptop's SSD.

The laptop is an HP envy X360 convertible, made and sold in late 2018. It
has both a touch screen and keyboard. The hardware is all good medium scale
stuff, and all and all it's by far the best machine I've ever owned.

To sum up it lets me start via Linux on a  USB pendrive, but won't expose
the internal SSD so that I can install Linux ordo anything from Linux, i.e.
run a malware scan, resize partitions, etc.

I have updated the bios and any drivers available on the HP website, but my
problem persists.

What to do? I want to leave win10  and set up a dual boot system, but could
not wipe windows from the drive as things stand with out removing it from
the laptop and I want to keep windows for the rare jobs that don't have
fully accessible ways to do them yet in Linux.

Any suggestions would be more than well received here. I got to get back to
playing with the Penguins.

Regards,

--

B.H.

Live free or die!, ... (windows is killing me)