Re: [orca-list] Orca In Log-In Window

I think everything we say is going to be questionable because so much might have changed since 11.10. But I recently messed around with getting orca to start immediately at the end of an auto-install. I believe that in Ubuntu 19.10, you can make gdm start orca automatically by changing the default in the file /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications.gschema.xml and reinstalling gnome-settings-daemon. The reinstall seems to be necessary because the installation process creates a cache of the settings and does not re-read them at each boot.

But that is for gdm. Ubuntu 11.10 might have been  using lightdm as the display manager. BTW, in case its not clear, the display manager is the name for the graphical login screen. You don't really need a display manager at all. In fact, there is at least one person on this list who strongly recommends against using a display manager.  I am neutral on that issue.

On my system, to switch desktops, at the login screen, I select a user, it then prompts for a password. Instead of entering the password, I hit the tab key. First it goes to the cancel button and then a second tab gets me to the session settings menu. There I can select my desktop.