[orca-list] Orca In Log-In Window

Hi All,
So far I've gotten my netbook up to Ubuntu 11.10.
I haven't found a distro yet that will allow me to do some specific steps to get around the force PAE thing.
But I want to get rid of this Unity, and I think Gnome is somewhere on this computer, because I had it in Ubuntu 10, and then when I used the live Ubuntu to upgrade to 11.10, it put in Unity.
So I would like to log out and in the log-in window, see if I can select a different desktop.
But in the system settings, there is universal access, but nothing about starting Orca automatically, and nothing about running it in the log-in window.
I tried, and I was not able to get Orca talking once I logged out.
I tried calling it with alt F2, ctrl + S, alt Super S, and ctrl + alt + 1 and then typing orca and that did not work either.
If I can't get Orca to talk here, can anyone tell me the keyboard steps to select a different desktop?
I tried installing Gnome with
apt-get install gnome-desktop
and it did not find it.

Thanks for any assistance.