[orca-list] Having trouble getting orca to read my webpages

Hi, there. I'm a sighted web developer new to orca and accessibility. I'm trying to get orca to read my web pages and help me with accessibility testing.

When I enable orca in my system preferences, it speaks various things to me as I switch windows and enter different applications. This is good.

However, as soon as I make firefox or chromium my active application, orca doesn't seem to want to speak to me anymore. It's stays quiet as I navigate around, even if I've enabled caret nav in firefox. As soon as I alt-tab, orca starts speaking again.

Any tips for how to get orca to start speaking websites to me?

I'm running Debian Buster w/ GNOME.

Thank you!

--Benny