[orca-list] Installing Orca on Raspbian Buster

Hi all,

I've been playing around with my new Raspberry Pi 4 and would like to use the desktop GUI with Orca. Unfortunately, Ubuntu Mate for the new Pi isn't available yet, so I thought I could install Orca onto the official Raspbian Buster distrobution.

I found a guide that details how to do this. It can be found at the following link: http://techesoterica.com/?p=1135

I installed all the packages including gnome-orca and espeak which I believe got installed with speech-dispatcher. When I reboot and try to access orca using the Alt F2 shortcut and then typing Orca, all I hear is "screen reader on". Pressing any other keys does absolutely nothing. I even tried connecting a USB audio device to the Pi, but this does nothing.

Thinking I must have done something wrong, I tried flashing a fresh copy of Raspbian to the SD card and prepeated the procedure. However, I don't receive any speech feedback at all when I try starting Orca from the GUI. Is Orca not compatible with Raspbian Buster? I know this guide was written before the Pi 4 came out, so that might be my issue right there. Is there any way to make this work or should I wait for Ubuntu Mate to be released?

Speaking of Raspbian, why doesn't it include Orca out of the box? Is there any way to contact someone at the Raspberry Pi Foundation who might actually resolve this? It really bothers me that the official Linux distrobution for the Pi isn't accessible for a blind person unless you use SSH. This is especially troubling now that the Pi 4 has more resources than any model before it and can actually become a decent desktop computer if so desired.

Any help is very much appreciated. If the only thing to be done is to wait for Ubuntu Mate, that's fine. My Pi isn't completely useless, since I can always use Raspbian Lite and SSH. Still, I'd like to use it as an actual desktop computer to see what the experience is like.

Regards,

Christopher