Re: [orca-list] Slint Demo/Tutorial, Part 2: The Post-install--first steps

Hi Andy,

I can't and won't answer for Dave but will address some of you concerns.

I ship a 4.19 kernel because it's the most recent tagged LTS (long term
support). Furthermore I build Slint kernels reusing the configuration
file from Slackware-current. This makes Slint benefit of the 25 years of
experience of Patrick Volkerding in configuring kernels <smile>
This being said, it is easy for a user with some experience to build a
more recent kernel for Slint as the one we ship is not patched. However,
I don't see much benefit doing that, unless you own some recent hardware
not supported by a 4.19 kernel. Is it the case?

About GUI apps: you are right, the LibreOffice package shipped in Slint
is old. That's because I don't use it myself and nobody requested an
upgrade so far. I will upgrade to version 6.2.7 tomorrow.

More generally, someone wanting a newer version of some software can
just post a request on the Slint mailing list. It will be fulfilled if
possible (this is the case for LibreOffice as it is not a dependency of
other applications).

About emacspeak which I do not use I will let Dave answer. At least it's
usable both in a console and in graphical terminal like mate-terminal
and there is no sound conflicts in Slint: Alsa and PulseAudio coexist
peacefully.

As an aside, Slint currently ships the most recent versions of a11y
software both for the console and graphical environments, XFCE and Mate.

Best regards,

Didier