Re: [orca-list] Beeps In Grub

Hello,

Indeed EFI3M can only handle booting in EFI mode. It should be possible
to provide a similar feature when booting in Legacy mode,
post-processing grub.cfg after having run grub-mkconfig. I will look at
that after the release of GRUB 2.04, expected in March as has recently
been announced by Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko, cf.:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2019-03/msg00002.html

On the other hand, the advantage of the UEFI version is that it can
boot also OS using a file system for which GRUB does not have a module,
as only access to EFI system partitions is then needed, that should
have a FAT file system per the UEFI specification.

I also have in my TODO list to allow the user to include or not in the
boot menu EFI executable that are not boot loaders, like e.g. for
firmware update. This is an option already provided by rEFInd.

Sorry for the digression and best regards,

Didier

PS just to clarify: EFI booting is also allowed using a 'dos' partition
table (with only a MBR), provided that it includes en ESP (EFI System
Partition). However I recommend to always create a GPT (GUID Partition
Table) instead, as it can also be used for booting in Legacy mode, and
is more versatile. GRUB can handle booting in Legacy mode with a GPT
provided that it included a small partition (4M is enough) of type ef02
"Bios Boot".