[orca-list] Audio Server

Hi,
I finally got my Pine64 working with an external USB sound card and Orca, running Ubuntu Zenial 16.04
Anyway, my plan is to make an audio server and I'm wondering if I'm using the right tool.
I installed VLC, and although it can stream video, and I only need audio, I don't know if this can stream from the line-in on the sound card.
I have been the preferences and it has a lot of info about streaming from podcast streams and a DVD player on the computer and audio on the computer, but nothing about streaming from the line-in source.
I plan on streaming from the TV cable box so I can listen to the TV anywhere on my property.
Is there a better tool for this, like IceCast, or Kodi, or something else?
I'm new to this so any help is appreciated.
Glenn