Re: [orca-list] Thunderbird: Orca repeats two times the same sentence

So I can confirm the problem. Unfortunately, it's a result of our trying
to hack around a Gecko bug where we get the wrong text. I'll see if I
can detect the condition and safely hack around it without breaking
other stuff the existing hack "fixes." But Orca would be more reliable
and more performant if these sorts of things were fixed at the source of
the problem.

There are a lot of instances like this bug, where get_text_at_offset()
gives us the wrong thing. It would be AMAZING if Hypra could fix all of
these issues. It would make it possible to remove a TON of hacks. And
that would make Orca way more performant and reliable. To find some
examples go to:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=374212&hide_resolved=1

Do a find in page search for get_text_at_offset. Those are probably not
the only bugs, but it's a good starting place.

Here are the steps to reproduce should you wish to file a new bug
against Gecko Core (it's not just Thunderbird). In fact, while I don't
have time, perhaps you could save the email as a web page and see if the
same issue is reproducible. (Note that doing so may change the offsets
in question, but hopefully you can adjust.) In the meantime, using your
email as the test case....

Steps to reproduce:

1. Resize the window so that the link is forced to wrap, ending with
  "mathtye_web" on one line and beginning with "/accessibility ils
   indiquent" on the next line.

2. In Accerciser, select the paragraph and in the iPython console type
   the following:

   t = acc.queryText()
   t.getTextAtOffset(250, TEXT_BOUNDARY_LINE_START)

The results at this point will be: (" ils indiquent que les lecteurs
d'écran peuvent lire les équations mathématiques. \n", 248, 332). So
presumably asking for the line at the reported start offset (248) will
give us the same thing. Right?

3. In Accerciser's iPython console, type the following:

   t.getTextAtOffset(248, TEXT_BOUNDARY_LINE_START)

Wrong! The results are: ('existe sous forme de module complémentaire).
Sur le site ', 191, 248). In other words if you ask for the line that
includes offset 250, you get a text range of characters 248-332. But if
you then ask for the offset at 248, i.e. the start of that range, you
should get the same string back. But you don't. You get the previous line.

This doesn't happen for lines without links. For instance:

  t.getTextAtOffset(350, TEXT_BOUNDARY_LINE_START)

Gives you: ("J'ai créé un document et inséré des mathématiques, j'ai
ensuite enregistré mon document en html (format web). ", 332, 442). If
you then ask for the line of text at offset 332:

  t.getTextAtOffset(332, TEXT_BOUNDARY_LINE_START)

You get: ("J'ai créé un document et inséré des mathématiques, j'ai
ensuite enregistré mon document en html (format web). ", 332, 442). Just
like we would expect to get.

Can we count on Hypra to tackle fixing these bugs in Gecko?

--joanie