Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 11:16:54
From: Peter V?gner via orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
To: Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04 gmail com>
Cc: Orca-list <ORCA-LIST gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca and arch linux

Hello,

I guess the following might be happening:

* You start your system,

* espeakup is started via enabled systemd espeakup.service file,

* Since espeakup can only use alsa for its sound output it takes over your
sound card. It's why typing speaker-test as root gives you a resource busy
error. It looks as if you may not really have pulseaudio-alsa package
installed eventhough you answered definate yes to my question. If you wish to
make sure, please try to read content of the file /etc/asound.conf by typing
in
cat /etc/asound.conf

if it's installed you should have lines like this near the top:

pcm.!default {
? type pulse

I am not sure installing pulseaudio-alsa by typing in:

sudo pacman -S pulseaudio-alsa

will improve the situation but it might since in such a case alsa apps play
sound via pulseaudio and multiple user specific pulseaudio instances can
coexist on the system suspending the instance that is not currently being
used.

What you might try is stopping espeakup immediatelly before starting GDM and
starting gdm blindly.

You would type

sudo systemctl stop espeakup

then press enter key

sudo systemctl restart gdm

and press enter again

As the GDM window appears you may either get no sound if orca is not
configured to launch on the login screen or it may just come up talking.

In order to toggle it you can press alt+super+s on the GDM login screen.

If you are not sure if it's toggled on or if it's toggled off you might like
to toggle it several times however please don't rapidly press alt+super+s
quickly, wait at least a second or even slightly longer between these presses.

Super key is the windows key found on the bottom left hand side of your
keyboard often placed between left ctrl and left alt keys.

Orca should spawn speech-dispatcher and speech-dispatcher should spawn
pulseaudio as needed.

If your sound device is not taken over by espeakup, you might hopefully get
the sound on the GDM login screen.

One thing I am still wondering when thinking about your setup is, have you
installed mate, orca and GDM your-self? GDM is gnome's display manager it's
why I am unsure.

Greetings

Peter

D?a 12. 1. 2019 o 14:28 Michael Maslo nap?sal(a):
Please see my responses below to your questions.

Do you have any kind of sound from that machine or are you relying on
sighted help while diagnosing this?
  While on command prompt i have espeakup but  the desktop environment no
  sounds

How do you start mate the only i can start my desktop is by typing sudo
systemctl start gdm.sservice. The startx gave no such command
and how do you login to a text only console?
  Espeakup comes on

Can you connect via SSH to that machine to troubleshoot this? Do not know
what this means

Do you know if you have got pulseaudio-alsa package installed yes i do

and if pulseaudio is started right when you are typing into a text console?
Espeakup speak talks and i went into alsamixer

Does speaker-test work if you will start it as root? No i get playback open
error device or resource busy error

Have you followed the install guide from the arch wiki or some other
tutorial? Yes i followed the talking arch tutorial

Greetings

Peter

D?a 12. 1. 2019 o 3:16 Michael Maslo via orca-list nap?sal(a):
Hello list,

I installed arch linux and when I ran speaker test while in the command
line I got the error playback open error device or resource is busy. When
I went into mate desktop and did speaker test I got the following error.

Commend not found.

Any idea on how to fix this problem?

Sincerely,

Michael maslo