Re: [orca-list] Can someone recommend a good scanner for books that works under Linux, please?

Oh, I think almost everything works. I am not doubting that you happened to come across some scanner that didn't have a driver. But I have never bought a scanner because I keep getting them fromWindows users who lost support for their scanner when they upgraded Windows. Right now I am using a Canon CanoScan N670U/N676U/LiDE20 flatbed scanner. That's what "scanimage --list" says anyway. But somebody just gave it to me because they had upgraded from Win XP to Win 7 and it was no longer supported.

I got my previous scanner the same way. I was just walking down the street on Christmas eve with my wife and dog. We passed this tiny church and somebody waved us over. They were giving away old computer equipment. I took the flat bed scanner and used it for years.

My understanding is that a new scanner is only $35 to $40 these days. It might not even be worth the effort to try to find a used one. For OCR of normal text, you don't need a great scanner. Higher resolution in the scan actually leads to worse results because more artifacts are introduced. I scanned in the entire AD&D 5E players handbook and I found that 300 dots per inch gave the best results. I think that if you are going to scan books, just about any old scanner will do.

I got great results from that free Cannon scanner and tesseract OCR.