Re: [orca-list] How do I....(installing new synths/voices)

Yasas Jake.

You need to edit your speech-dispatcher configuration file.

/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf

File the line talking about adding modules for this particular voice, and uncomment the line.

Then save the file.

Now, restart speech-dispatcher. This could vary by command depending on the version distro of Linux you're running. For example, in Debian/Ubuntu flavors, it's:

sudo /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher restart

Then, quit and relaunch Orca.

Then go look in your list of voices, and it should show up. Be mindful though of one thing before doing this.

Some voices I've seen rely on a back end server or some other package to be able to run. In other words, if you don't start that service before switching to the voice, you'll wind up having no speech when you do so, which could be a nightmare to fix.

If worst comes to worst, quit Orca, then open a terminal, and type:

sudo rm -R ~/.local/share/orca

Then restart Orca. Don't do this though unless you break speech, and only! do it as a very very very last resort.

Beware, if you do, literally, all your Orca settings will be removed, and you'll be starting fresh with a new copy of Orca. So, if you've done a lot of reconfiguring, this definitely wouldn't be at all a smart move if you at all could prevent it.

I just wanted though to give it to you as a last resort, so that if you break something in trying to do this, you won't totally be up the creak without a paddle.

Chris.