Re: [orca-list] chrome

nolan! wow

cool to play with spotify on linux!

On 2019-08-20 17:57, Nolan Darilek wrote:
I've gotten a bit further with this, so will contribute my findings to the list:

In addition to passing the --force-renderer-accessibility flag to all apps I run, I also have to set ACCESSIBILITY_ENABLED=1 in my environment. I did this with a flatpak override so all Flatpak apps I install get that. Of course, passing the command line flag means I can't run any from the desktop menu, which is fine for now.

As of now, Spotify and Zoom are usable, though I've yet to join/run a Zoom meeting so I can't say whether it will work at that point. But I've logged in, navigated to various controls, etc. There are minor issues with some text fields that I imagine will get fixed in time, so I'm not reporting them and you shouldn't either.

Discord, Riot, Slack, Skype, and VSCode aren't yet functional. This could be for a number of reasons--in-progress accessibility work on Chromium, using an old Electron runtime, the fact that I think Microsoft uses its own customized Electron builds, the fact that Discord relaunches itself on each run and presumably doesn't include the accessibility renderer flag, etc. Note that very few of these issues touch Orca, and the ones that do are actively being addressed, so that some of these aren't working could entirely be due to any number of non-a11y-related issues.

Disclaimer: I'm not providing this information because I intend to answer support questions about how to use flatpak, how to set up user-specific overrides, how to run flatpak apps, etc. I'm not providing this information so folks can go out, fail to use these apps, and open bunches of Orca issues. I'm just saving folks the time of testing out various Electron apps they might be interested in using, or figuring out what is necessary to use Flatpak/Snap packages of same. I spent an hour of my life figuring this stuff out so you don't have to, so don't take it and make a nuisance of yourself. :P