[orca-list] Building Accessible Kiosks Using Orca

Hi All,

I’m looking to build an accessible Kiosk-like experience that uses Orca.

The current project requirements are:

1. Must run Orca

2. Runs in an environment with a network synthesizer so does not need audio support at the moment

3. Must run a web browser in full-screen that displays one website without the ability to edit the address bar or otherwise leave the page it’s on unless links on the page allow for it

4. Must be as resource efficient as possible

5. Must be usable via a remote VNC connection

What I have so far is:

1. Based on Alpine Linux or Arch

2. Uses GTK-Webkit to run a shell in which a page can be loaded

My current questions are:

1. How can I get a minimal Orca setup? I can use either packages or compilation.

2. What Desktop Environment (DE)  should I use? Do I need a DE at all? I think I do.

3. What is the best browser to use for this kiosk mode. GTK-Webkit seems like a good candidate but I’m open to suggestions.

4. Is there anything else you notice that I have missed?

Any help with the above is greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Alex

Alex Jurgensen,
I wear many hats!

President and Independent Living Skills Instructor
Camp Bowen Society for the Independence of the Blind and Deafblind

Fostering independence Through Friendship

www.campbowen.ca

+1 (604) 947-0021
+1 (844) MYBOWEN (692-6936)

Direct extension: 102