Re: [orca-list] orca does not read emoji since a recent commit

Hi Jérémy.

Sorry about that. Once speech-dispatcher handles emojis for us, the
general emoji problem will be solved.

And at some point I will consider whether or not we need a GUI
character-naming option. That said, in the meantime I believe you can
work around this using orca-customizations.py.

I put the following in my orca-customizations.py:

import orca.chnames
orca.chnames.chnames["😊"] = "my silly smiley"

Having done so, when I read the line by character, the emoji is
pronounced as "my silly smiley"

Please give that a try and see if it works for you. Apologies for any
inconvenience.

--joanie