Re: [orca-list] Voxin 1.14: Your opinion?

What speech engine would you recommend? Espeak probably?

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list <orca-list-bounces gnome org> On Behalf Of Kyle
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:44 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Voxin 1.14: Your opinion?

My opinion is that Voxin and anything else that uses its binaries and SDK
should be discontinued. It's getting harder and harder to maintain, the
underlying speech code simply can't be maintained at all, because the source
is either lost, damaged or otherwise unavailable even to potential
maintainers, it's highly insecure because it relies on older and older
system libraries to try to keep it running, the underlying speech
synthesizer binary is probably older than Windows ME, which is another piece
of old technology that has by now been relegated to the circular file, it
has horrible bugs that can't be fixed that cause it to crash on things as
simple as typos and OCR mistakes,  and worst of all, it costs money just to
use it. If it was a computer we purchased online, we would be giving it
1-star ratings and demanding a refund, or seeing the bad reviews and all the
gymnastics it takes just to get it set up and halfway working, we would
simply refuse to purchase it. My opinion is that it's a crying shame that
this broken piece of trash is still not being allowed to die the death of
most old, broken and unmaintainable software.

Imetumwa kutoka bandari