[orca-list] getting input from braille keyboard

Second question in a week. I'd like to use my brailliant bi32 for
input as well as output from, say gedit. this doesn't *appear* to be
working. I can navigate ok and something is getting through to orca
since thumb2+thumb3 gives a speech response of "leaving flat review".
Similarly the braille cursor follows the speech around the screen when
I move with the laptop keyboard.
I can also  interact with brltty since things like help mode and learn
mode work. What I can't seem to do is get keyboard input through to
gnome. Entering characters has no effect, trying to open a new file
with ctrl-o (here thumb3+o) doesn't work etc. since I can get to
brltty I've presumably mesed up the plumbing somewhere between brltty
and gnome. Anyone enlighten me or suggest debugging options?
thanks again
Peter

--
Peter Rayner