Re: [orca-list] Could it be possible to reduce chattiness when opening the desktop ?

Hi,

I agree. Pressing CONTROL+ALT+D results in Orca saying the following:

"desktop frame icon view layered pane, andy's home, 1 of 5"

Which could be shortened to something like:

"desktop. Icon view. Andy's home 1 of 5"

Thunderbird email has the same problem. A new email has Orca saying something like:

"Write, editable content. Focus mode."

This could be shortened. However, each user's preference for screen reader verbiage might be different. Thus, the control type, control state, and the state of Orca in each control should be a user setting in the Orca preferences. This way, someone who doesn't care that the desktop is an icon view with multiple layers can turn it off and only have to hear "Desktop. Andy's home, 1 of 5." Someone creating a new email only needs to here "write. Edit, blank." Something similar to JAWS/NVDA in Windows would work. In any case, these should be configurable. I do believe the user should also have control over which order these options are announced.