Re: [orca-list] how to get Orca and Lightdm running on Arch?

Hi Vojta,

Le 18/03/2018 à 10:59, Vojtěch Polášek a écrit :
Hi guys,
I decided to switch from Gnome to Mate, as Mate seems faster to me.
I would like to get rid of all gnome stuff including GDM. I tried to
switch to Lightdm but Orca won't start.
Following are contents of my /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
#start here
[greeter]
reader = /usr/bin/orca
a11y-states = +reader
#ends here
I have copied the orca configuration from /var/lib/gdm to
/var/lib/lightdm and configured proper permissions. I have added the
lightdm user to the audio group. Still nothing.
What could be wrong?
Thank you,
Vojta
Looks good. Maybe at-spi was not started or there is an issue with
speech-dispatcher or its audio backend (pulse or alsa?)

Caveat: I never used Arch, so i just can give some generic clues.

To investigate you could do this, assuming that you have speech on the
console:
Reboot to start lightdm, then, when you think it's running:
Ctrl+Alt+F2 to go to tty2
Login as root
To check that orca is running type:
ps -ef|grep orca|grep -v
If you hear orca in the outpupt it's started.

If not you'd have to investigate why looking at the log and typing
a similar command replacing successively orca by one the other apps
involved, namely at-spi, speech-dispatcher, its audio backend.

Of course you can check that lightdm itself is running the same way.

If you need to login as lightdm to check something, being root in tty2
type:
su lightdm -s /bin/bash
"-s /bin/bash" is necessary because lightdm should have no shell by
default for security reasons.

For your information, here (Slint64-14.2.1) I have two display managers
that speak:
lightdm-1.24.0
gdm-2.20.11

This gdm version is very old but works. I chose it because that's the
last one that doesn't need a whole GNOME desktop as deps (I ship MATE
but not GNOME in Slint). You could try it on Arch, maybe.

Greetings,

Didier