[orca-list] new display manager, slick greeter

hi all

Ubuntu mate 18.04, the new lts, named bionic beaver, is switching it's display manager, login screen, from lightdm's gtk greeter to one called slick-greeter, which is lightdm's unity greeter forked and  with all the unity dependencies and hard coded stuff removed. It is accessible out of the box with both orca and onboard. There is only one minor problem with current orca, 3.27. Orca will sometimes turn off immediately after turning on. Sometimes it resolves itself after being toggled a couple of times, sometimes not. This happens both with slick greeter and lightdm's gtk greeter. The shortcut to launch orca is the standard shortcut, alt+windows+s instead of f4, which I really like. It's also available in other linux distributions, including arch. One other minor issue with mate. This involves the indicator applet set for the mate panel. The menus do read with orca, that is, they are accessible, but they don't announce their names when you're scroling through them, with the exception of the system menu and the network menu, although the network menu only speaks if you're connected to a network, otherwise it just says "menu."  The indicator applet set is not ubuntu specific like I thought, it is included in mate's panel source code, available in any linux distribution if the right packages are installed.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

--
Open source is much more than just a license. It is freedom personified. It is a community of people
exercising our God given rights to use, study, modify and share both code and ideas. As well as breaking drm