Re: [orca-list] Two questions about Linux termanology

I'll take a crack at this.

Flat comes from the fact that you're reviewing the screen or application interface and everything on it without any regard to the structure of the interface. You don't know what's a menu, title, parent, child and so on. You're just getting whatever's on the screen inĀ  a flat structureless manner.

You're right about package. A package includes the application you want, all of the necessary dependencies and the default settings for the application. These are called packages and managed with a package manager, like APT. If you grab a tar file and need to make it yourself then it is frequently just called an application.