[orca-list] Problems Installing Debian with UEFI

I don't know if anyone can help with this, but if not, I would appreciate it if it might be forwarded to a
more appropriate list.
Installing debian onto a HP Z220 Worksation with
firmware-9.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso
I created a 512m partition with fdisk. It was labeled as type EFI system and formatted with fat. I used the
manual partition option and assigned it as
"Use as EFI system partition"
and then assigned the rest of my partitions to their specified mount points.
All seemed to go well until it came time to install grub. I happened to be watching my braille display at
that time, and it said
Running 'grub-install dummy"
I've never seen that in my life. Why on earth did it do that?
Naturally, when it came time to reboot, nothing came up but a grub rescue prompt.
I fired up the debian cd again. Went into the second console with alt+f2 and ran the following commands.
ls /sys/firmware/efi
config_table efivars
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t proc none /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs none /mnt/sys
chroot
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sda
Everything ran according to what it should. Grub reported no errors when installing for x86_64 EFI platform.
However, still comes up the grub rescue prompt on boot.
What on earth could be going on here. I am without any other ideas.