Re: [orca-list] Is this safe to do? I don't wanna break Orca

Aa, does it not run just simply by installing it? Sorry for my ignorance.

Chris.

On 07/07/2018 09:47 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
I think somebody forgot to start festival before starting orca.  I don't
know if orca will start up festival by itself for you.

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018, christopher Gilland via orca-list wrote:

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 20:17:34
From: christopher Gilland via orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] Is this safe to do? I don't wanna break Orca

So, a while back, I remember trying, through gedit to manually by hand edit
the

/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf

file, and uncommenting some of the speech modules, then changing the
default=espeak to which ever module I wanted to use.

Obviously, I made sure I first had the TTS engine installed.

I think I tried this with Festival, but don't quote me.

Anyway, my point is, I then restarted Speech-Dispatcher's service, all be it
maybe not correctly, and loe and behold, I epicly broke Orca. I then had
entirely no speech at all.

Even after logging out and back in, nothing worked.

So, yeah. Whoops? Major! Whoops!

So, before I went middle mucking around with that file, and yes, I did copy it
elseware, so I do have a backup, I was just curious if it was safe to
uncomment some of those synths in the file, or am I still likely to really
break Orca if I do this. I'd rather check with you all that're way more
experienced users than I currently am before I go doing something which'll
prove to be incredibly stupid! Especially since I have a working system which
has been configured to the point where I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

FYI, I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.

Chris.