Re: [orca-list] Getting started using orca under ubuntu

Assuming you're running Gnome, control+alt+tab will take you into the top bar. You should hear something like "top bar, not pressed activities not pressed". If you hit right arrow, you'll move across the menu and when you get to the far right, you'll be in the system menu. Now you can down arrow to wifi, bluetooth, volume, screen brightness, battery charge and power/suspend.

To get to the applications you have on your system, hit super first. You'll hear "windows". Now hit control+alt+tab once and you'll be in the dash. Hear you can arrow up and down through your list of favorites. If you hit super and then control+alt+tab three times, you'll hear "applications" and this will be the list of applications you have on your system.

If you want to use the GUI to install new software, hit super and then hit control+alt+tab three times to get into your list of applications. Now down and right arrow over to software and press enter. You'll be able to search for, install new software, uninstall existing software or update software you already have on your system.

I use Thunderfird for my email software and Firefox as my web browser, although I'll also occasionally use Chrome with ChromeVox. I just use the built in File browser, which is called Files on the favorites list. For editing, I'll use Gedit for a quick edit, but I spend most of my time in Emacs with Emacspeak. For multimedia, I usually just find what I want to listen to and use the Video option in the context menu. You also have RhythmBox on your Ubuntu 16.04 system, and of course, there are other options.