Re: [orca-list] Latest orca that can be installed on Ubuntu 16.04

I think your problem is probably that the sound card is muted or that it's volume is set to zero. But the key to debugging the problem when you get no speech at startup depends on somehow getting logged in so you can try different things. If you are installing debian, you can tell it to install an ssh server and connect remotely. If you are installing a distro with a really recent kernel, like ubuntu artful, and you have a hardware synth, you can use a character console. If you don't have a hardware synth, you might be able to go to a character console, log in as root, and install espeakup which used to give you software speech upon a successful install. I think that is distro dependent these days and won't help anyway if the problem is with your sound card.

If those options aren't available, if you can somehow get logged in at the GUI, you can press alt+control+t to run the default terminal emulator. You can then use your smart phone and an app like KNFBReader to read the screen and then install ssh or test the sound card. A good way to test if you are indeed at a command prompt is to type eject. That should cause your cd-rom drawer to open (if you have one). Another thing to try is beep. Testing with the beep command is not definitive these days.

Once you somehow get an accessible command line prompt, you can check if sound is working. Some things to try once you get a command prompt:

1. Check that the user you created during the install has permissions to access the sound card. On debian based distros the user has to be a member of the audio group. If you're logged in as root, you can just add the user to the audio group. If the user is already a member it will say so. "adduser john audio".

2. Check if alsa recognizes your sound card, "aplay -l".

3. Try playing some sound files, "find /usr -name '*.wav' -exec aplay {} \;"

4. Try unmuting and setting the volume of the sound card:

amixer set Master unmute
amixer set Master volume 80%

I'll bet that last step solves your problem. Two other things you can try are to re-initialize alsa settings and reconfigure speech-dispatcher. To reset alsa settings:

1. Delete the alsa settings file. "rm /var/lib/alsa/asound.state".
2. Run the alsa init command, "alsactl init"

To reconfigure your own speech-dispatcher settings, simply run "spd-conf". I don't know how to reset speech-dispatcher settings for the login screen. That has never been the problem in my experience. And it's been a hunderded yars (almost) since I've seen alsa not recognize my sound card. I'll bet the problem is that your sound card is muted and/or the volume is zero.