Re: [orca-list] Need to make a VM

Actually, more than a few people would advise against running a Linux virtual machine on top of Windows, for the security and stability reasons you mention. If for whatever reason your course instructor is unwilling to break the cycle of Microsoft addiction, then your virtual machine on top of Linux is the way to go, since anything that can harm your Windows installation will only touch the virtual machine, which you can snapshot and roll back at any time.

Your best virtual machine is in fact VirtualBox, inspite of issues some people have getting it to work with Orca, unless you want to try to get qemu working with kvm. Since I left the world of x86_64 for the most part a couple of years ago, I haven't tested either option recently to be sure they still work. Last I checked though, you could create your either create a VirtualBox using its graphical interface and then right click the list item and put it on your desktop, or you could script a qemu command that will start your virtual machine. Check out qemu-create-image and the qemu command itself to get a qemu virtual machine working. I once used both of these options for testing other Linux distributions, and both worked quite well, although VirtualBox did seem to run my CPU a bit hotter than qemu.
Imetumwa kutoka Jumamosi