Re: [orca-list] Unable to login to a gnome session with gdm.

The graphical user interface has to create files in your home directory when you log in. The console does not. So often, if you can log in via a console but not vai the gui, it is because you cannot write to your hard disk. The disk could be full or defective. Try creating a file after logging in at the console.

If it's not the disk, I'd say follow someone else's advice and try starting X11 via the startx command. And then check the log files (always good advice for any linux problem). Gdm logs should be in /var/log/gdm/.