Re: [orca-list] Not sure who to report this to, but would like to see an updated arch install audo tutorial using efi.

Its a little off topic but I had already written this up for someone else so thought I would post it to help.
Here is a guide using grub. I actually figured out most of this by looking at how Debian set things up. It
works on Arch Linux which I used to use and Void Linux which is the distro I use now. Only difference for
Void is you need to copy the genfstab script from arch or write your fstab manually.

Hope this helps.
0. Read steps 1 and 2 and use fdisk to create partitions. This example
uses two partitions, the first is 64 mb for the efi system partition
and the second is the rest of the disk for root.
1. Create and format a partition to be your efi partition. I am using
/dev/sda1 in this example. 64 mb should be enough. Don't go too small
or there won't be enough room for the fat clusters.

mkfs.msdos -F 32 /dev/sda1

2. Format the root partition. You can use any file system on your root
partition but it needs to be mounted before the efi partition because we
are going to create a mount point for the efi partition in the root file
system. In this example, we use /dev/sda2 as the partition to hold the
root file system and btrfs as the file system type.

mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda2

3. Mount the root partition.

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

4. Install the base system and grub.

pacstrap /mnt base base-devel grub

5. Create a mount point for the efi system partition and mount it. Here
we use the default path for grub. This way, we don't have to pass
additional parameters to the grub-install command.
mkdir /mnt/boot/efi

6. Mount the efi system partition. After mounting the efi partition,
generate your fstab. This order is important so that the efi partition
is in your fstab. This allows grub to update its efi loader when the
package is upgraded.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
genfstab -U -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

7. Install grub and create its config file. The grub-install command
uses efibootmgr to modify the bios nvram values. It will automatically
add an entry for arch to the bios and set it as the first item in the
boot order so you shouldn't have to do anything. It also places its efi
loader on the efi system partition. Grub should create a folder that
will be at /boot/efi/EFI once you are in the chroot. Notice in that path
that there is two folders The first is efi without caps and that is
obviously the mount point you remember creating earlier. The second is
EFI with caps and is created by the grub-install command and is at the root of the efi partition /dev/sda1.
If you enter
this EFI subfolder, you should find another folder containing
grubx64.efi which is grubs efi loader. I can't remember if the folder
created under EFI containing  grubx64.efi is arch or another name. That
file is what will be loaded by  the laptop. Some efi implementations are broken and won't save nvram values
correctly when you run grub-install. If your machine doesn't work copy the EFI loader to
/boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi which is the system fallback path and should boot by default if nothing else
is on your efi partition. Just for clerification, the file your are copying to the efi fallback path
bootx64.efi is grubx64.efi and you should only perform this step if your machine does not boot.

arch-chroot /mnt
grub-install
mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Other than that, the install process remains the same.