Re: [orca-list] Intro and a question

Armando:  It sounds like you grabbed the live dvd, on which there is no accessible installer.  May I suggest the net installer?  This gives only a basic system, just enough for doing the installation.  When the netinst image boots, you will hear one or two beeps, as mentioned by Peter below.  On hearing this, type 's' and hit enter.  Espeak should start talking after a minute or so, with prompts at each step of the installation process.  If you are planning to have Debian as your only system on subject computer, you can accept the defaults for partitioning and software selection.  One of these defaults is Mate DE, with braille and speech active, assuming you did the accessible installation.  Warning:  If possible, you should do this on a wired connection. Since most of the system will come down the network, it will be much faster than over wifi.  Also, you may have to install additional firmware to get all your devices working (most-often this applies to wifi).

HTH,

Dave