Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Very interesting observation with Thunderbird and Orca

On 23/10/2017 22:52, Christopher Gilland wrote:
> I chose to set it to in a new window, as this felt more to me like on
> Windows, how I could hit enter to open the message, then escape to close
> it.
>

> The problem is, by doing that, I'm finding that this is when things break.
>

> If you set it to the default, to open in a new tab, it doesn't happen.
> Lines then only are read one time as they should be.

There is an add-on called "Close tab on ESC" which lets you open
messages in Thunderbird tabs, but close them using the ESC key just like
when messages are opened in separate windows. This keeps things very
nice and tidy in windows and is probably worth trying on Linux as it
would give you a work-around for the problem you're experiencing while
allowing you to still use ESC to close messages.

While I'm at it, I'll mention an add-on for Thunderbird I have
published, just in case it might be useful. Called "Quick Folder Key
Navigation", it adds the ability to quickly traverse the folder tree by
typing the first letter or part of the name of the folder you want. Like
"Close tab on ESC", it can be installed via the Add-on Manager.

Hth,
Andrew.