[orca-list] Very interesting observation with Thunderbird and Orca

So,

I've been playing more tonight with Thunderbird, and I think I've finally tracked down exactly what is causing the line repeat issue when opening a message.

It seems like this is happening only when hitting enter on a message, first of all. It doesn't happen in the reading pane if you simply just tab over to it from the message list.

Further, if you go to the edit menu in your menu bar, then up arrow to preferences and hit enter, now down arrow to display, and then go in the advanced tab.

In here, there is an option to open messages. You either can set it to in a new tab, which is the default, or you can set it to in a new window.

I chose to set it to in a new window, as this felt more to me like on Windows, how I could hit enter to open the message, then escape to close it.

The problem is, by doing that, I'm finding that this is when things break.

If you set it to the default, to open in a new tab, it doesn't happen. Lines then only are read one time as they should be.

This is in Orca 3.2. I did manage to get updated.

BTW, I'm now on Ubuntu 17.04, and no longer 16.04. Still running Gnome 3. Why not 17.10? Well, that's for another post. I don't wanna veer too much from my initial subject.

Anyway, getting back to opening in a new tab, for those who don't know, just hit CTRL+W to close the message window. If you set it to open in a new tab, where Orca won't repeat each line twice as you arrow through things, then escape won't work.

To me however, that's a really small price to pay for getting it to read better.

LOL!

Chris.