Re: [orca-list] [Testers wanted before the official release] Slint64-4.2.1 release candidate is accessible.

Hello,

Le 20/10/2017 à 00:05, B. Henry a écrit :
Sounds good, but a bit unclear as to whether I can install and use
with speech now, or if only braille is fully supported at the moment

If you use the RC iso provided here:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/
you can install and use with speech.
The installer greets you with this message, also spoken and in braille:
cut here
This installer has speech and Braille device support in order to be
accessible to visually impaired users. To have speech turned on during
installation type S, then press [Enter]. Else, just press Enter.
cut here

PS: confirmed by Jude DaShiell while I was writing. Hello Jude!

and while I think I get it now, wording could be made a bit better re
the f1 f2 f4 key bindings, i.e. it sounded like only in fluxbox f4
closes window uppon my > first reading, but now it sounds like you
have noat made an accessible run dialog for fluxbox, i.e. f2 dow not
work there.

That's right, the reason being that that the only run dialog that I
could manage to pop up in in Fluxbox is fbrun, and it's not accessible.

As a side note, you can still access a Run dialog in Fluxbox, but from
the panel's application menu (Alt+F1).

Change but to except in would clear that up, e.g. > f2 pops up a run
dialog except in fluxbox...

English is not my native language (I am French) is my excuse here...
I would be very glad to someone who would propose me corrections to this
file:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/ACCESSIBILITY

Anyway, if you are not working on something native or fancy, you may
wish to talk to Storm and myself re filling in a couple of gaps such
as that lack of a run dialog.

Any contribution to help me make Slint more accessible is warmly
welcome.

This includes documenting the keyboard shortcuts to use in the WMs
and DEs we ship and also in MATE that can be easily added, and pointers
to place where this information is already provided.

I've been using a fluxbox configuration that sounds  not all that
different from what you are doing for a few years now, i.e. I use
pretty much all of the same default apps, (I go back and forth between
a few different terminal emulators looking for best accessbility and
flexibility, but may well be using lxterminal at the moment).
I do use a run dialog that storm wrote and I tweaked a bit

I'd be grateful for a link to a source repo for this run dialog

and have a categorized apps menu with some extras in it such as orca
preferences, gui logout etc with more development coming there.

I would gladly adopt extra menu entries like orca preferences.
For the GUI logout, I think that lxlogout and wm-logout that we use are
OK.

I've never used slakware, but am glad you are doing something with it
and when time permits am interested in testing, and as some of, maybe
a whole lot of what you are doing seems to be in line with my ideas
for ligh fast and flexible Linux both novice friendly and ready to
rock for power users > accessible Linux.

I'd be glad to cooperate, share ideas and tools. I look forward
fr your testing feedback

Congrats, want to compare notes when time permits on a thing or two,
e.g. are GUI apps run as root accessible such as gparted, gedit or
other editors, etc?

I didn't test all, but at least I can say that geany (my preferred
editor) is accessible. My assumption is many GTK applications are
accessible

If so, did you have to do anything special to get that happening?

Nothing, but setting some environment variables when running startx, see
this code snippet included in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.*
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/source/orca/orca.snip

Greetings,

Didier