[orca-list] Just making sure I'm doing this correctly, nothing's wrong, don't worry.

I can get this to work properly consistently, but I just wanna be sure that I'm not perhaps making this harder than it needs to be. There may be an easier, more intuitive way.

So, in Gnome3, I'm on an empty workspace. No apps running, nothing. Just totally totally blank.

If I now hit Orca+Space, regardless if I am in the laptop, or the desktop layout, doesn't matter, nothing is happening.

this isn't a matter of needing to hold the FN key down. In all other desktops like Mate, or Unity, it works fine, however, in Gnome3, I'm finding that it's not bringing up the Orca settings window.

I'm not sure the reasoning behind this. The only thing I can think is that it has something underlying to do with the fact that I'm on a totally blank workspace.

I kind a wish Gnome actually had a desktop, but, whatever. Anyway, the only way I'm finding that seems to be working 100% of the time no matter what is for me to hit Orca+Space when an app is actually opened, and in the foreground.

So, for example, if I was to hit alt+F2, then type in gedit, hit enter, and get a GEdit screen up, then, I could hit Orca+Space, and it would work.

I'm not sure exactly what enticed me to try this, but I did, and lo and behold.

I could see for new users though this being incredibly unintuitive.

Am I missing something here? Is there not a better and easier way? Surely you don't mean to tell me you gotta open up an app first before the Orca settings can be loaded. That just doesn't seem at all logical.

Chris.