From: Peter Vágner <pvdeejay gmail com>
Date: 2017-10-19 9:11 GMT+02:00
Subject: Re: [orca-list] More findings regarding Gnome and Unity
To: Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07 gmail com>

Hello,

If you would like to see the files and folders on a removable USB drive you've just connected, there are two ways I can think of right away.
As you have plugged the removable medium most likelly you have received a notification. You can press super+m to jump to the notification area, find the corresponding entry and press the enter key or the space bar key on it. List of files and folders should appear in the default file manager. It's Nautilus also known as Files in Gnome. I'm not sure that notification is persistent though, so it may not be showing all the time. Definatelly it's dismissed after you activate it.
The second way is by opening Files application entry from the activities overview. You can use list of applications, dock or search for launching apps.
Once the Files app is showing it's very similar to most file managers. While navigating with the tab key you can see it has folder pane, list of files and folders and a toolbar with various items on it.
It's nice to know that pressing tab or shift+tab moves item by item at the same level and ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab does the same thing except that it also crosses container boundaries when possible. So for example in a list of items pressing tab or shift+tab may take you to the next or previous items. If you wish to navigate past or before the list, you can press ctrl+tab or ctrl+shift+tab in this context. It's working like this within all of gnome and all the GTK+3 based apps.
You can navigate in folder pane and list of files by using up and down arrow keys. If the list of files is displayed as an icon view you have to also use right and left arrow keys there. You can activate the item by pressing the enter key. You can use shift+arrow keys to select files and folders when they are displayed next to each other or you can hold down ctrl key, use arrows to navigate and select by pressing the space bar key. To see actions you can do with individual files or with a selection you can bring up a popup menu either by pressing applications key or by pressing shift+F10 key combination.
On the folder pane
I like to activate items with space bar and you can also use enter here. Once you activate an item in the folder pane, list of files populates with new content.
In more recent Nautilus versions (I'm using 3.26 here) there is an unlabelled button which moves up a level in the directory structure. Technically this button is a part of the content view which also encapsulates folder pane and list of files. In the tab order it follows after the list of files.
When you land on the toolbar, you can use tab or shift+tab to navigate or you can also use left and right arrow keys to navigate. You can activate with space bar or enter keys.
On the toolbar there is a bread crumbs like set of controls showing directory components of the currently browsed path for quick access. These are reported as toggle buttons by orca. The one coresponding with the directory you are browsing in the list of files is toggled on the others are toggled off.
There are a few buttons such as switch view and a few so called revealers on the toolbar. Revealer is a toolbar style control that might display other controls on its place when expanded. For example as you activate Actions menu, you will land in a group of buttons that includes some actions usefull to the whole view.
Also when you are copying a lot of files or performing other time consuming operations there is no seperate window showing the progress but it's implemented as another revealer on the toolbar. Initially this new concept seemed like a thing that will break good old habits however now I find it quite convenient because I can continue browsing files without switching windows. And If i would like to check whether the time consuming operation is over or whether there is something else to see, I can just expand the corresponding revealer.
Nautilus has some more items in the top bar menu but these items are global to the whole app not some of its views. This works similar in other Gnome apps.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 19. 10. 2017 12:07 AM používateľ "Christopher-Mark Gilland" <clgilland07 gmail com> napísal:

How do you focus, with Gnome on the desktop immediately after installing? I plugged in a USB flash drive, but I can't seem to get to my desktop to open it.
---
Christopher Gilland