Re: [orca-list] lightdm and the desktop don't speak early if pulseaudio is not started system wide.

Hello,

I think the chain is as follows:
Lightdm-gtk-greeter spawns orca
- Orca spawns speech-dispatcher if it's not running via python-speechd
- Speech-dispatcher is configured to output its audio through its pulseaudio output module. That module is linked against libpulse. When libpulse is asked to play sound, it tries to spawn pulseaudio if it's not yet running. Pulseaudio examines if it's configured to autospawn in its config file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and if yes it will launch.

So the delays are expected in a setup like this I would say.
On other distros pulseaudio is typically activated via socket activation of systemd thus it's started early and killed late similar to how at-spi bus is handled.
In order to hackaround that you might like to consider managing pulseaudio launching and killing via lightdm scripts such as setupscript, pre session and post session script. However I would call that just a workaround not a proper solution.

I don't know if there are more possible options within systemd less distro like Slint is.

It would be difficult to find out if this is a bug and which part is responsible.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 29. 11. 2017 15:10 používateľ "Didier Spaier" <didier slint fr> napísal:
Upgraded to pulseaudio-11.1 to no avail.