Re: [orca-list] lightdm and the desktop don't speak early if pulseaudio is not started system wide.

Upgraded to pulseaudio-11.1 to no avail.

Le 29/11/2017 à 12:35, Didier Spaier a écrit :
Hello,

In Slint64-14.2.1RC3.iso, puleeaudio is not started system wide,
as espeak is built with portaudio as back end, and orca is enabled at
the user level with a small script orca-on.

We start espeakup during the startup sequence.

When lightdm is used, after startup it doesn't say "screen reader on"
and it seems to take a few seconds before it begins to speak, for
instance if if quickly begin to type the password it doesn't say
"bullet" when typing the first characters.

However, after I close a session (going back to the greeter) it speaks
normally.

Also, at the beginning of a desktop session orca don't say "screen
reader on" either, and there is a delay if 10 or 15 seconds before I get
speech.

However if I start pulseaudio system wide during the startup
sequence (chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio) I have speech instantly in
both lightdm and the desktop.

Also, if I use another display manager like lxdm, I have of course no
speech in it but I get speech in the desktop instantly regardless of the
way pulseaudio is started (system wide or per user). This is also the
case if I use startx to start a desktop from a console instead of using
a display manager.

We have lightdm-1.24.0, lightdm-gtk-greeter-2.0.3, orca-3.26.0,
pulseaudio-9.0

Did anyone observe a similar behavior?

Should I file an issue in some bug tracker, and then which one?

If one wants to test, the iso is here:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/

Greetings,
Didier