Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:34:26
From: Javier Hernandez <javi raisingthefloor org>
To: Micha? Zegan <webczat_200 poczta onet pl>
Cc: Orca List <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] End of Life of Skype for Linux 4.3 : help me to make
    Skype 8 accessible

Hi Michal,

as far as I know, the new skype for linux is an electron app. From an
end-user point of view, it's just an application where web.skype.com is
embedded and that includes the required plumbing around having the
audio/video/notifications working at the OS level. So yes, there is a
chromium engine involved, but not in a way we can add the chromevox
extension. As far as I can tell, the accessibility issues are the same
we're facing with chromium/chrome web browsers. Others, including Alex, can
explain better than me what is the current status of it.

wrt Skype's API, probably they just decided to stop providing such API
since they have moved skype into the "cloud" (web.skype.com), and it's true that you can use skype from any web browser of your choice. My experience so far with web skype is terrible, we use Skype at work and sometimes I'm
not able to even log in, which is very disappointing. Of course I always
have a backup solution, which involves using Skype on a Win/Mac OS, which is pretty unacceptable in my opinion. That said, I'd like to think that the
Skype Team is already aware of the problems and that they will be
addressing them as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Javi

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Micha? Zegan <webczat_200 poczta onet pl>