Re: [orca-list] Testers of Slint64-14.2RC2 reporting no sound in graphical environment

I got espeak working and once graphical mode was started using startx I needed to turn the screen reader on and the speech only gave me the start up message then no more. I have more testing to try in that environment later probably once the screen reader is running try to get into its preferences. Another problem, I only have a wifi connection here for computers and this time nmtui failed to work for me. Two problems first after deleting the ethernet connection I had to do that earlier to get my network name to come up this time my network name did not come up and I'm using the same adapter to write this message on panix1.panix.com on a different computer. The main computer is far older than what I tested slint on this time too. I think I'll do a reinstall and not install kde and see what other options are available to configure networks other than networkmanager on this system. Maybe if another exists it might work bettter this time.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Didier Spaier wrote:

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:13:49
From: Didier Spaier <didier slint fr>
To: orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Cc: Aiyumi <aiyumi br gmail com>, Peter V?gner <pvdeejay gmail com>,
    Jude DaShiell <jdashiel panix com>
Subject: Testers of Slint64-14.2RC2 reporting no sound in graphical
    environment

Hello,

I received two reports that puzzle me of testers of Slint64-14.2.1RC2:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/
One is in this post:
https://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7462#p43392
cut here
Further, there was no /dev/audio during past boots.
So my program "saytime" would not work.
I copied /dev/audio over from Slint-32 and saytime is working and
/dev/audio survives a reboot sofar.

This user actually installed RC then upgraded using these instructions:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/upgrade/README-UPGRADE
and maybe alos those:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/upgrade/from-rc-to-rc2

This is a sighted user so I am just puzzled how that could happen.

The second report worries me more, as the tester, Aiyumi in CC, is blind
and skilled: she actually got me started making Slint accessible with
this blog post:
http://aiyumi.warpstar.net/en/blog/installing-orca-on-slackware-14.2/

She installed anew from this ISO:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/slint64-14.2.1RC2.iso
Starting the system after installation in text mode she got sound from
speakup, but no sound in graphical environment after having typed
startx.

I tried the same thing an got sound from orca.

I am now thinking that the issue could be related to pulseaudio and or
alsa rather than to the a11y stack itself, as we start pulseaudio system
wide but without any specific setting that maybe we miss. The daemon is
started like this as shown in /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio:
/usr/bin/pulseaudio --system --disallow-module-loading 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null &

Any hint or clue to investigate this issue is appreciated. I am
forwarding Aiyumi's last post below.

Greetings,

Didier

Forwarded message  begins here