Re: [orca-list] Gnome 3.26 Settings App

Hello,

When the Gnome 3.26 settings manager shows up you can use up and down arrow keys to navigate over the icons representing each section. You can activate the icon by pressing the enter key. However that does not automagically change the focus to the corresponding view that has just got expanded so in order to leave the list of icons you can press right arrow key or ctrl+tab keyboard shortcuts.
You need to work out which of these two is suitable for which sections. For example activating a wifi icon and pressing ctrl+tab focuses a pannel you seemingly can't navigate over with orca.
When pressing ctrl+tab on an activated bluetooth icon, the focus is placed on a label which is only accessible with flat review so I would say in this case it's usefull.
In most cases these are only differences that are essential to navigate most of the settings as the expanded views are either very similar to those we do know from earlier gnome versions or these are easy to navigate.
Wifi, Network sections are the one which have been redesigned and I am afraid very little accessibility related work has been put into it.
Within the wifi settings there is just a single unlabelled focusable toggle button (at least from orca side of things). By using flat review luckily we can identify a list of wifi networks in range along with corresponding options button for each of those network. It is not clear which of those networks is connected. It is not possible to navigate in the list of wifi networks using standard navigation commands. The signal strength for each wifi network in range is not communicated to the accessibility API. The options button is not focusable and can't be activated by using the keyboard.
Networks section can be navigated somehow however the experience is not very streamlined and I feel it's unpredictable.
When the network icon is selected you can press enter key to activate as always.
To understand what this settings section does and how it operates it's very usefull to explore the window by using flat review. It appears there are a few subsections representing individual connectivity features available on your system. e.g. on mine, there are Ethernet, Bluetooth and VPN. Each section has a new button at the top (usually not labelled at all!) and the list listing NetworkManager profiles associated with corresponding network type. In some cases this list can be navigated by using up and down arrow keys (e.g. ethernet) sometimes individual entries seem to act as if each of them would be placed in the seperate list (VPN). I can't reliably navigate between the sections. Sometimes pressing right arrow key when the unlabelled button is focused moves to a different section, however it does not jump from ethernet to Bluetooth but it jumps from ethernet straight to VPN so it's confusing like hell. Presentation of items in these lists is also very confusing. For example when tabbing into a list of wired networks orca presents something like Wired connection 1 options button. Pressing enter or spacebar while this is focused does nothing. Pressing the tab key moves focus to an options button which works like a normal button. To make it a less confusing perhaps these should be repurposed into a single UI control or when reporting the first one the options button should not be reported at all.
I can see the same inconsistent UI presentation accross all new lists e.g. in the battery section when you are repeatedly pressing the tab key orca reports the following (items divided by comma): Battery charged 100%, Battery saving list of 8 items Light slider 10, Light slider 10, dim screen when not active toggle button pressed, dim screen when not active toggle button pressed..... I believe you can see. Seemingly each item is duplicated. However upon further testing you realize that the first of those seeming duplicates is not interactive and you have to move to the second in order to act on it.

I would say no coordinated efforts, no communication, no postings to the gnome accessibility list for ages, cancelled a11y meetings, broken accessibility team and almost no real accessibility related work except of at-spi, atk and orca development is taking place in the gnome community. I have posted more than once about this in the past so I am not expecting this to ever change, it's that today I do have a good day and am happy to show a bit more patience to this yet one more time. Well I can see accessibility related commits for example in GTK however I am not sure these skilled developers can understand issues like these. We really need better coordination here.
Can you guys suggest how to go about improving the situation. I can't just write messages like these, or subscribe to loads of already filed bugs, or report new bugs to be stalled for ages in the bugzilla or to go to the IRC explaining I think I can understand a little of accessibility issues people may have with the platform telling that it's still the most accessible linux desktop environment on the planed but the accessibility is slowly getting ruined.

We need this to stop and try to slowly revert this process so more new stuff will become more accessible again.

What can we do?

Greetings

Peter

Hi Nick.

I'll take a look to see where the problem is. Thanks!
--joanie