Re: [orca-list] Linux full-time

Hi,

I am a full time Linux user since 2011. Well, I think I have similar
experience as others here - Linux has certainly is accessibility
problems, but so do other operating systems. Some time ago, I was very
surprised when I couldn't access some website with NVDA alghough I had
accessed it with Orca before for several months without any problems.

I use mainly graphical environment, although I am going to try Fenrir.

I use Thunderbird for mail, Firefox for web browsing, Pidgin for
messaging, Libreoffice for basic document editing. For more advanced
documents I use TeX or Markdown and then the Pandoc tool to create a
desired output.

As my file manager I use SpaceFM-NG. I use Mopidy to play music from
Spotify. You can use iris web interface or GMPC to connect to Mopidy.

I use Audacity for sound editing and Audacious as a audio player.

Then I use Kodi and its screenreader addon for playing online streams.

Then Eclipse for developing in C++, Java or Python, it can be used as a
TeX IDE as well.

I occasionally have to use Windows because of my work or school and for
that I use Virt-manager to run Windows in Qemu.

I can connect to remote Windows computer through Remmina and RDP
protocol with no problems, you can hear remote audio and use for example
NVDA.

One of my last programs I use is Zim as a personal notetaking wiki.

As a desktop environment I chose Gnome, because it has lots of
interesting extensions.

The biggest problem I have with graphical interfaces is inaccessibility
of Java application. At least I can't get java-atk-wrapper to work properly.

Well, and then we have the console here, which can solve lots of things
for you. As others said, there is at least one console tool for
accomplishing any of tasks I mentioned above. I use it mainly for system
management and for running computer security related tools.

Best regards,

Vojta