Re: [orca-list] PDF documents reading?

Austin Seraphin <austin austinseraphin com> wrote:
I've wrestled with this myself recently. The Atril document viewer in
Mate doesn't work well, and an open bug exists. The Gnome document
viewer does seem to work, opening it and hitting F7 to turn on the carat
works. I still have issues with scrolling, perhaps someone has some tips
on that.

The older (but still effective) solution is to run pdftotext on the PDf file,
then to use your preferred tools to read the text file that it produces.

There are various options, for example -raw (which is helpful with
multi-column documents), or -layout, which preserves the page layout of the
PDF document.