[orca-list] Hello

Hi everyone! I've used the Linux console for years with Speakup, but recently I became so fed up with the lack of progress with VoiceOver on the Mac that I decided to give the Linux desktop a try. I made an attempt ten or so years ago, but things have gotten much snappier. I use Arch Linux and Mate, perhaps a reason for this. I tried getting Gnome talking, but I just couldn't, but Mate came right up, so I've gone with it.

I have a few basic questions for now.

I use the orca package, should I switch to the orca-git package in the AUR?

The help viewer often becomes unresponsive. I can't seem to read anything. Does it have some trick to it?

I got Thunderbird working for email. IMAP took a little tweaking but I got it. Can anyone recommend a good calendar, especially one with CALDAP so I can use my iCloud shared calendars? I started trying the Lightning add on for Thunderbird. I also wouldn't mind finding an Emacs solution. Speaking of, I plan to use Org Mode a lot. I welcome any tips about Emacs and Orca, though so far running it in mate-terminal works well enough.

I can't seem to figure out the spell checker in Thunderbird. It brings up the dialog with a misspelled word, but doesn't seem to display the word.

Does Orca have something like the item chooser in VoiceOver? I know that you can bring up a list of different types of items, headings for example, but in the Item Chooser you can start typing to narrow the selection.

Hm, as I write this email I notice problems navigating through the entirity line by line. Strange. Do I need to customize the view or screen layout in the composer a little more? Hmm.

That should do it for now, I'll likely think of more. So far things have gone quite well. Thanks for everyone's help. I feel very excited to use Orca.

--
Austin Seraphin: https://AustinSeraphin.com