Re: [orca-list] System not completely booting because of no screen connected?

Simon Eigeldinger <simon eigeldinger vol at> wrote:

This by the way is happening to all distros i have tested.
open suse, ubuntu gnome, sonar gnome, fedora workstation, debian testing,
paldo and others.

Have you tried a distribution that boots directly to a shell prompt instead of

If I remember rightly, you can run X with a server that doesn't actually need
a display connected. It's known as the dummy video driver. However, before you
can do this, you'll need a Linux distribution installed, which is why I would
suggest trying one that offers a completely text/console-based installation
process.

I think having a monitor connected is a good idea, even if only temporarily,
especially when you're installing the operating system or performing other
tasks that could lead to serious problems. With a monitor in place, it is at
least possible for someone to look at what is happening when you don't have
braille or speech access to the system.