Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Emacspeak

I use Emacs in the terminal with Orca all the time. I start it with the -nw command line option for no windowing system, then go from there. I also use the EVIL package to give it VIM like bindings, which I prefer.

On 07/10/2017 10:51 AM, Alan Ghelardi wrote:

Hello.

In order to access the Emacs's menubar you would need to use Orca along with Emacspeak, since the later cannot read these graphical components. However, this is awkward and in fact, goes against the philosophy of Emacs/Emacspeak. When using Emacs you don't need to have access to the menubar, toolbar and other analogous visual resources (in fact, even sighted Emacs advanced users do not use them), because Emacs is originally a terminal editor and absolutely everything is accessible by keybindings (keystrokes in the Emacs terminology). By the way, this characteristic (the independence from a GUI) is one of the main advantages that Emacs/Emacspeak offers to blind users.

I suggest that you start studying the main keybindings of Emacs/Emacspeak in order to get more acquainted with these concepts. With a bit of pracctice you will understand why you do not need to use the menubar. I recomend that you start with the Emacs tutorial. For such, open Emacs and press C-h t. In the Emacs terminology, C means Control. The keybinding C-h t, means press Control and h simultaneously, drops the combination and press t. This will open the Emacs tutorial. Follow the steps in this tutorial and you will learn the main keybindings for reading text, switching between buffers, windows and so forth.

One thing very useful in the Emacs is its capability of being self explanatory. In another words you can use Emacs for learning about Emacs. For example, there are several keybindings that describe other keybindings. Press C-h k and after, press C-h t. You will hear Emacspeak reading a help content open in a separate window. In this case, Emacs will describe the keybinding C-h t (the same that I indicated previously to open the Emacs tutorial).

Best regards.

Alan Ghelardi

On 07/10/2017 10:05 AM, ronak shah wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "ronak shah" <ronakshah 26397 gmail com>
Date: Jul 10, 2017 9:22 AM
Subject: Emacspeak

Hi all
I have started to use Emacs with emacspeak but am not able to navigate afficiantly
For eg
The menu bar is not accessible with emacspeak and hence I am a little stranded in a no man's  land.
Please let me know how to get use to it
also is VIM better with orca because I would like to use 1 screen reader and 1 editer for everything preferablely

Anything on ide will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Ron