Re: [orca-list] qt-at-spi 32 bit on arch

Well, I forgot about the very small msg size allowed on this list, and the below was held.
I do not see the other message I sent in reply to myself where I pasted in the readme in my sent folder, so
I'll paste in here, in case it did not post,
and send the quoted msg in case it did...lol
What a mess.
I think it did not go out actually, or may not have as my battery died, maybe before I hit send on said msg.
*Information about inst64bitskype and instructions for an automated installation of skype on 64bit Arch-Linux
and F123 systems follows.
Anyway, just go to

http://fluxability.tk/downloads

 and look for the inst64bitskype package.
I spent a few minutes updating the script but have not had time to test, so am just leaving this old version
on the website for now, and nothing else on
the site has been updated for months, so please accept my apology.
I'll get back to my computer related projects as soon as I can, but have to give priority to family and
offline stuff for a few more months.

*Information about inst64bitskype and instructions for an automated installation of skype on 64bit Arch-Linux
and F123 systems follows.

*Package files
The compressed folder where you found this README file should also include:
The accessiblebridge directory where libqspiaccessiblebridge.so the library required to make skype accessible
on 64bit systems is found
install-64bitskkype.sh The script that installs skype and makes it usable with Orca
MD5sum-installer.txt, Make sure the installer script is not corrupted
A todo file/ideas I have on how to improve inst64bitskype

*Prerequisits:
A computer running 64bit Arch-Linux, Manjaro or one of its diritive distros such as F123.
Permission to perform administrative tasks including installing software using pacman and working with files
and folders owned by root.
A stable and hopefully fast connection to the internet as skype and its dependencies make for a good sized
download, 75+MB is typical.
If you already have Skype installed the download will be much smaller.

Pulse audio is required to talk on skype for Linux, but you will be able to see the skype interface, add
contacts, text chat, etc even if you do not have pulse.
It is assumed that orca is installed and is working correctly.

*Usage
*Important note: Although the original script was  designed to be executed from within your graphical
interface, not from a log-in tty-console. This has been changed so that you can use it even if you do not
have a GUI running. Ofcourse a graphical interface must be running to use Skype.

From the directory where you found this file run the following command.
sudo ./install-64bitskype.sh

*Detailed instructions
Open a terminal-emulator, or log-in to a console; and navigate to
the directory where you have inst64bitskype.tar.bz2, e.g. cd ~/Downloads.
Untar inst64bitskype by typing
tar xjf inst64bitskype.tar.bz2
Go in to the newly created directory with
cd inst64bitskype
Now just execute the script.
  sudo ./install-64bitskype.sh

You should normally not run this version of this script from a run dialog
or your desktop's dash as you will get no benefit at all from it
in fallback offline mode, and lose some functionality
even if you have a working connection to Arch servers.

You can also run with out sudo, but will have to type your password multiple times
instead of just once; no good reason to do that.

*Logging/debugging
I can think of no reason that this script should not work for you
assuming you can connect to your arch or manjaro package mirrors
and you meet the basic requirements listed at the beginning of this file.
I suppose you could have made some overly restrictive permissions in /usr/lib32/qt,
but if you are that paranoid  you surely know how to work around your madness, and probably would not trust
skype anyway...lol.
Some information is written to /tmp/inst64bitskype.data that you may wish to look at.
I hope to make the logging a bit more useful in the future.
Remember that on most default Arch-Linux and Manjaro based systems /tmp
is cleaned up with each boot or reboot, so make a copy of the file
if you want to look at or share it later, e.g. to ask for help if you feel really lost.
If you do have trouble, and or think of improvements for this script, PLEASE contact me at
B.H. <burt1iband gmail com>

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  B. Henry wrote:
Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 05:15:16PM -0600

Better, easier any way is to just download the package you need. You need to copy a file in to a directory
you create anyway, not just instll the 32bit
package, or at least you used to have to do some manual c copying.
I wrote a script a year and a half or more ago to automate the steps required to install skype and make it
accessible, but do not remember if there were
any issues with the final version, and I know I was trying  some different methods and that script was not
quite thre yet.
Anyway, qt-at-spi is not even in main arch repos any more. There is a verwsion in the AUR, but I'm nopt
sure whether it's the same or not, and there does
not appear to be anything else wioth a similar name.
I have an older version of the  script that installs and configures the 32bit qt-at-spi  so skype works on
64bit machines, and I made a fallback mode that
uses a copy of the required file included with the script. It was meant for temporary loss of internet, but
looks like it'll have to run in fallback mode
always now...lol
Just extract the attached tarball, and cd in to the directory created called inst64bitskype. You will want
to do this in a terminal emulator like
gnome-terminal, mate-terminal, or simnilar, for a slightly nicer experience, but I think even this old
version will run correctly from a VT console.
Then just type
sudo ./install-64bitskype.sh
press enter. You will be prompted for your password and then see a message about a required file not being
available from the internet, something like that
anyway. You press the ok utton to continue, and again after the script has finished.
If we will continue to need this qt-at-spi packe I';lll need to rewrite the script so that it will always
use the local copy of the file it installs and
run in default mode other than that as it checks for other dependencies and installs them in default mode.
There's a README file in the tarball if you want more clearly worded instructions, well I hope they are
better anyway...lol

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jude DaShiell wrote:
Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 01:47:30PM -0500

It's available and been available.  You need to examine /etc/pacman.conf and
enable the 32-bit repositories in order to download and install it.