Re: [orca-list] best Ubuntu for accessibility

Not in the way you want, and while in some areas gnome will be a bit more accessible than unity, in general
unity is quite usable.
My testing of 16.04 with unity is limited, and I am not sure that I've run gnome on this particular Ubuntu at
all.
You probably want ubuntu mate.
That is the only version that has the menu layout you remember from 5 year old Ubuntu releases and older,
i.e. gnome2.x. Mate is a fork of gnome2 that
has been updated with more modern packages under the hood. The transition from GTK2 to GTK3 has not been with
out issues for the Mate devs, and some of
these especially effect us screenreader users.
I have Ubuntu-mate 16.04 on a usb memory stick with some persistent storage enabled so  that I can install a
few extra programs I always want, (some
especially useful for rescue and repair of both other Linux instances and that other OS out of Washington),
and upgrade to newer accessibility packages.
I also put speechd-up on it so that I can get console speech, and I find  it quite good from an accessibility
point of view, and in general. As I've
stated in one or more emails, maybe not in this conversation, not sure, some behaviors are likely different
on a normal bare-metal installation, but I
have not had a machine available to install  this Ubuntu on to test this.
Probably with in the next week or two I'll have another test box, so I'll gladly update you once I get the
new hardware, (new to me that is, will be
several years out of manufacture, and probably have many hours of use on it), and have a chance to  install
and configure the Xenial mate flavour on
said machine.
The little aps menu script I mentioned in a prev msg will work on any of the Ubuntu versions in question, but
was designed especially for gnome and
unity as they lack categorized menus by default.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Glenn wrote:
Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 08:51:03PM -0600

   Hi,
   I am installing Ubuntu on a friend's computer.
   I tried straight Ubuntu 16.04, which is Unity.
   It did not seem very user-friendly, in it is difficult to find things, as
   in the older versions with the three top menus, applications, system, and
   places.
   Vinux keeps failing to write GRUB after the install.
   Is Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 more accessible?
   Or any other suggestions?
   Thanks.
   Glenn