Re: [orca-list] idea: expose orca as a session/user bus service

This is what speech-dispatcher already does, although rather than exposing itself over dbus, I think it can use sockets to communicate, although I'm not familiar enough with the internals of things to comment much on the exact method of communication. But speech-dispatcher does indeed run as a service that listens for text to be spoken, and takes that and pipes it out through the speech synthesizer of choice, which I believe can be set in each client. There is talk in the future of migrating speech-dispatcher to use a gsettings back end that will make it much more flexible and easier to edit settings graphically. It may even be possible at that time to read any client's settings and use them. This would naturally include Orca's settings. Hopefully this can happen soon, with enough coders and resources.
Sent from the void